Magi Mike's Blog

Another WordPress blog about politics and religion

The “Work of the Devil”

with one comment


A devout friend of mine, among the more gullible of believers, is in a blue funk. He read in the UK Daily Mail (1 June) that the Vatican has denounced the six Marian visionaries of Medjugorje in Bosnia who have seen the Virgin Mary 40,000 times. Since 1981, every year they have attracted five million Catholics as pilgrims—hundreds of thousands from Britain alone, my gullible friend among them.

The Medjugorje phenomenon began on June 25, 1981, when six children told a priest they had seen the Virgin on a hillside near their town. A church investigation dismissed the vision, and the Vatican banned pilgrimages to the site in 1985, but many Catholics, like my friend, took no notice. Businesses in the town and the visionaries themselves have benefitted immensely. Today, those who saw the Virgin own smart houses with security gates and tennis courts, and expensive cars. One is married to a former US beauty queen.

The story is that a respected Roman Catholic Bishop in the Vatican, Bishop Andrea Gemma, once the Vatican’s top exorcist, has declared that the visionaries had perpetuated a “diabolical deceit”:

In Medjugorje everything happens in function of money—Pilgrimages, lodging houses, sale of trinkets. This whole sham is the work of the Devil. It is a scandal.

He added that the Vatican would soon crack down on the scam. The visionaries tour the world preaching, accompanied by their buddy, the Blessed Virgin Mary, but Catholic officials in the US have already banned them from speaking on church property in future world tours. They have not said whether the Virgin Mary is banned as well.

I have argued with my Catholic friend for decades that these miracles are scams or at best delusions, but few believers are convinced by reason. Even if true, this denouncement by the Vatican will not stop myriads of believers from continuing to support this scam and others, just as Protestants continued to support corrupt tele-evangelists like Jimmy Swaggart even when they have been exposed.

Meanwhile, John Humphrys, the excellent BBC broadcaster and agnostic, tells us in his new book, In God We Doubt, that atheists should “respect” the beliefs of the faithful! How can it be done? As Humphreys says, some believers might be deeply sincere. But belief is itself loopy. The sincerity of someone’s loopiness might moderate the atheistic reaction to them personally, but cannot ameliorate criticism of their loopy beliefs. They just do not merit respect!

Advertisements

Written by mikemagee

15 June, 2008 at 6:29 pm

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. London Tabloid Inaccuartely Portrayed Bishop as Speaking for the Vatican Against Apparation and Medjugorje

    Pewsitter.com

    June 15, 2008 – The “news” has flashed across blogs and chain-mail lists and even onto at least one Catholic news site:

    Medjugorje had been condemned — proclaimed as evil — by the Vatican.

    That was the subject tag for a flood of e-mails and fodder for chat rooms around Europe and North America. The headline came from an English newspaper and said, “Vatican denounces group’s claim of seeing the Virgin Mary more than 40,000 times as ‘work of the devil.'”

    It was a dream come true for the many enemies of the alleged apparitions. Finally: the famed apparition site in Bosnia-Hercegovina, which has been drawing more pilgrims than any apparition since Fatima — and perhaps before that (forty million since 1981) — had been denounced, ending the debate. Vanquished.

    It seemed so cut and dry, with one major hitch: the report — that it was a Vatican official — was erroneous, disseminated in a lurid London tabloid as a sparsely detailed article that was then picked up by those bloggers and sites such as CathNews in Australia which long have hankered to give Medjugorje its comeuppance. The tabloid took it from a short interview with the bishop in an Italian magazine and hyped it into a Vatican ruling.

    Most major religious news sites stayed away from the story — knowing that there had been no such pronouncement from Rome. In fact, a recent decision by the Vatican to take Medjugorje away from a negative-leaning national bishops’ commission was seen as the most important positive development for the site since 1986 (when the local bishop’s authority to rule on it was likewise removed when he tried to reject it).

    Still, there were the e-mails — based on purported and still unconfirmed statements by Monsignor Andrea Gemma of Italy, a retired bishop-exorcist who, it was claimed, told an Italian magazine that Medjugorje is a deception that will soon be ruled against by Rome.

    “It is a scandal,” he was quoted as saying. According to the newspaper, the Vatican will “soon crack down on the group [of seers].”

    But a Vatican spokesman Bishop Gemma is not — and never was, discrediting the headline and the flurry of e-mails quoting the tabloid, which, in the tradition of British journalism, often designs headers before it finds facts to support them. First published in 1896 by Lord Northcliffe, it is Britain’s second biggest-selling daily newspaper (after The Sun).

    Where its idea originated that this local bishop represented the Vatican was not readily apparent. According to a Church biography, Gemma served as the prelate of the Isernia-Venafro diocese from December 7, 1990 to August 5, 2006 but was never in a ranking position at the Vatican. To say one of Italy’s bishops speaks for the Vatican (there are 225 dioceses, not to mention all the retired prelates) is like saying that a federal official in Pittsburgh speaks for the White House.

    In fact, there are no official “Vatican” exorcists. The idea that he was such apparently came from a popular secular book written by Tracy Wilkinson about exorcists in Italy and entitled — in a way that alluded to the Church as a whole, not the Holy See — The Vatican’s Exorcists.

    Said the book, which featured several exorcists: “Gemma, seventy-four, speaks at times with a slow, dramatic flair, repeating his words for emphasis.” It added that he was a featured speaker at a meeting of exorcists “where he regaled the priests with his stories, his eagerness to knock down the mystique around diabolical possession, and his penchant for the closest thing to irreverence that a bishop can muster when talking about Church hierarchy.”

    Despite the fact that Rome has never said anything negative about Medjugorje — remaining neutral, at least for now — that freewheeling style fit neatly with The Mail’s own penchant for articles that cast a negative light on the Church. Noted one English viewer (Peter Devine, of County Durham): “The Daily Mail newspaper is the Catholic Church’s greatest enemy in England.”

    The Mail was not, however, the original source. “You’ll see that soon the Vatican will intervene with something explosive to unmask once and for all who is behind this deceit,” the now 77-year-old bishop told Petrus, an online Italian Catholic journal.

    If that is ever the case, we will adhere to the verdict. The Gemma statement went on to say that the Church already has spoken through the Bishop of Mostar — whose authority, in fact, has been stripped. That bishop long has been antagonistic to Medjugorje but his diocese lost authority over Medjugorje in 1986, rendering the idea that he speaks for the Church as another inaccuracy expressed in the Petrus interview by Gemma himself, who also erroneously stated that pilgrimages are not allowed there (despite official Vatican statements to the contrary; it has twice stated through its press office that while official parish pilgrimages are not allowed until there is Church approval, unofficial ones are allowed, including those with priests. The Cardinal of Sarajevo, who is the country’s highest ecclesiastic authority, has repeated this).

    Might Medjugorje one day be rejected?

    While John Paul II was highly favorable toward the apparitions, even encouraging pilgrimages, and Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger rescued the site from local condemnation, it is not clear how Benedict will act now that he is pontiff. We will adhere to whatever the Vatican decides. Thus far, it has decided nothing. When such an announcement comes, it will be through the Vatican press office from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

    Meanwhile, another priest highlighted in The Vatican’s Exorcists — the famed Father Gabriele Amorth, of Rome (who performed exorcisms with John Paul II) — has visited Medjugorje and described it as both an authentic apparition and (ironically) a “fortress against Satan.”

    Anna

    16 June, 2008 at 2:17 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: